Uncle Garak!

Part 5
By Starna
 
 
Date: May-September 1999
Rating: PG-13
Summary: What if Janeway was not on Voyager when it went missing, but found herself there in the Delta Quadrant, 5 years after Voyager had disappeared.
Disclaimer: Parramount owns everything Star Trek. Let's hear it for them!
Author Note: The idea for this AU story has been playing with my mind for the last couple of months and I thought that it was about time I put it down on paper.   I also would like to thank my beta readers for a wonderful job that they have done, thanks everyone!
 

Captain Spencer was very interested in the information that Tuvok had passed onto her. For some reason last night she had talked to Garak about it. He had been open to her and told her not to worry, but now that she knew she could bring it up with Kathryn. She enjoyed their talk and could see how Kathryn called Garak her friend. But she could also see how Garak had received his reputation. She was also able to see that it was a facade.

As Captain Spencer walked onto the bridge the next morning and looked around and saw Kathryn at the science station. She decided that she would approach Kathryn about the information and see what Kathryn had to say about it.

"Commander Janeway, could I see you in my readyroom."

"Yes Captain," replied Kathryn.


Captain Spencer picked up a PADD that was on her desk and said, "Commander, something has come to my attention that has me somewhat concern. It is in relation to one of the Kakadu crew." Michelle paused for a moment then continued, "When the information from the Kakadu was downloaded, this information," handing the PADD to Kathryn, "was also downloaded." Kathryn looked at the PADD and then at Michelle. "….Admiral!"

Kathryn closed her eyes for a second and then looked at Michelle. "Michelle, I can explain."

"Don't bother, last night I confronted Garak about this and he informed me of your concerns and wishes that this was never to be disclosed. One thing though, I have to give you credit. I have order you around as if you were a Commander and not once have you in anyway indicated that you had a higher rank than me," said Michelle.

"Your actions, since I have been on Voyager, have been almost exactly what I would have done if I was the commanding officer. Besides, being an Admiral isn't all it's cracked up to be," said Kathryn. She then handed the PADD back to Michelle and said, "I must ask, apart from yourself, who else from Voyager knows about this?"

"Only Tuvok. He in fact brought it to my attention. I will inform him to remain silent unless ordered otherwise if you wish?" said Michelle.

"Thank you I would appreciate that. I hope that this will not change anything? That we may become the friends that I felt we were becoming?" said Kathryn.

"I give you my word it won't. I can't say that I totally understand why you did it but I do appreciate the sediments. Besides, it will be a nice change to occasionally have an Admiral's opinion as to what's going on and what Voyager is to do next," said Michelle.

"I will be more than happy to help out. But I think that you already have a fine senior staff who would fill that position now," said Kathryn.

"That I do. I couldn't ask for a better crew." Michelle paused for a moment then said, "So tell me, there's a history between my first officer and you, or am I mistaken?"

Kathryn smiled and said, "Yes there is. Chakotay and I served together for awhile, before he left Starfleet and joined the Maquis."

"Interesting, but I wasn't talking about that," said Michelle.

Kathryn realized what Michelle was asking and said. "Whatever history Chakotay and I had together is exactly that, history."

"Something tells me that you're wrong." Kathryn looked surprised at this. Michelle saw the surprised look on Kathryn's face and continued, " I saw the way the two of you comforted each other while Kol was unconscious and the way you look at each other when the other isn't looking. What's more I have never seen Chakotay more at peace with himself than what he is right now. And Garak said the same thing about you."

"It seems that you and Garak talked about a lot of things last night!" said Kathryn.

"Let's just say that I can see why you like him. He's not afraid of who I am, something that I rarely find in a man, of any species," said Michelle.


That night, in Kathryn and Kol's quarters, Chakotay and Kol were looking through holovid's of Kol growing up.

"That's the end of that one Uncle Chakotay. Have you had enough or would you like to see another one?" asked Kol.

"Well if you don't mind, I would love to see some more. Tell me, how come you have these with you?" asked Chakotay.

"Mum always makes sure that we have family pictures and things like that, wherever we go. She says that it's because they are precious. I have a photo of my real parents that Mum gave to me, do you want to have a look at it?" asked Kol.

"I love too."

"I go get it and the other holovid," said Kol as he headed off to his bedroom and then to Kathryn's room.

Chakotay sat there, thinking, 'Kathryn has done a wonderful job of raising Kol. He seems so well adjusted to everything that has been going on in his life.'

Chakotay heard Kol from Kathryn's room, saying "Uncle Chakotay, could you please come in here and help me get a box down?"

"Coming"

Chakotay walked into the room, trying not to think that it was Kathryn's room. He looked around for Kol and saw him in the wardrobe; he walked over to him trying not to notice any of Kathryn's clothes. The smell that hit him when he walked in the wardrobe didn't help him; it was the way she always smelled around him.

"It's the box up to the top on the left" said Kol pointing to it.

Chakotay reached for the box and carried it into the main part of the quarters; thankful for being out of the room, which reminded him of everything, he gave up 6 years ago. He placed the box on the coffee table and watched as Kol went through the box. Something caught Chakotay's eye; it was a small box, which looked familiar to him.

He picked it up and began to open it. Inside was the diamond ring that he gave Kathryn when he asked her to marry him. Thinking to him, 'I can't believe that she kept it.'

"Sorry Uncle Chakotay, what did you say?" said Kol.

Chakotay realized that he had in fact said it aloud. Kathryn has walked into her quarter and had heard what Chakotay said and saw what he was holding in his hands. She knew that they needed to have the rest of that talk they have been putting off.

"Kol, its time for bed. Go get changed," said Kathryn.

"I was about to show Uncle Chakotay another holovid of me growing up," said Kol.

"You can show him another time, you have a big day tomorrow with Naomi and Uncle Garak on the holodeck remember" said Kathryn.

"Yeah. I forgot about it. Don't tell Uncle Garak. He's really looking forward to teaching Naomi and I about computer security" said Kol.

"I promise, I won't tell him anything. Now go and get changed" said Kathryn.

"Yes Mom" said Kol as he headed off to his room.

Kathryn watched him enter his room and the door close. She then turned back to Chakotay who was now standing still holding the box in his hand.

"We need to talk," said the both of them.

There was a pause and then Chakotay spoke, "You still have the ring."

"Yes."

"I'm glad."

"You are? I would have thought that you would have wanted me to get rid of it, just like you got rid of me."

"I didn't get rid of you."

"No really. Then what do you call leaving me and joining the Maquis two weeks before we were to be married? You didn't even leave a note to tell me what you were doing. You didn't ask me to go with you. I had to hear from Admiral Nechayev that you had left for the Maquis. Do you have any idea of what it's like to find out that way?"

"I'm sorry that you found out that way but I couldn't leave you any word as to what I was doing, otherwise Section 31 would have had investigated and followed you."

"They did it anyway. It was only because of Admiral Paris and Admiral Green that they stopped, or at least appeared to have stopped. But it wasn't before Kol came to live with me. And he certainly didn't need that, his life was already in turmoil as it was."

"As I said, I had hope that they wouldn't do that."

There was a long silence then Kathryn said, "Well I guess that we better make it official now."

"Make what official?"

"Our engagement, being called off!"

"Called off! When was it called off?"

"When you left me without even a word."

"I never left you intentionally."

"Oh great that's suppose to make me feel better. Well you may have not left me intentionally but the moment you weren't living with me in our home and sleeping beside me in our bed, you left me," said Kathryn as she turned away from Chakotay and looked but not looking out of the window. In almost a whisper, "You promise me that you would always be there with me. You would never leave me. Remember that Ancient legend. That's what made me open up to the feelings I had for you. I had lost everyone whom I loved when Narellan was taken, you said that you understood how I felt and that things would be different." Turning back towards Chakotay with tears in her eyes. "Well things were different, I wasn't taken away from you, you left instead."

"I know that I have hurt you, but I couldn't just let what my father believed in be nothing."

"What about us, was what we believed in nothing because it must be if you were able to leave it."

"That's not true. I was planning to come back. I had to help my people."

"There were other ways in which you could have help."

"There wasn't, I know because I looked into what else I could do before I made the decision to leave."

"Well you didn't look hard enough."

"Mum, why are you and Uncle Chakotay fighting?" asked Kol as he walked back into the room.

"It's nothing Kol, go to bed. I'll be in there in a minute to tuck you in," said Kathryn.

"I want Uncle Chakotay to tuck me in," said Kol.

"Not tonight, Uncle Chakotay has to report to the Captain about some ship business that needs to be handle urgently," said Kathryn.

"Sorry Kol, but I just remember that I have to meet with the Captain. I better get going, see you tomorrow okay!" said Chakotay.

Kol was not happy with this but knew when not to say anything. He would talk to Uncle Chakotay tomorrow and find out what was going on. "Okay Uncle Chakotay, good night," said Kol then he headed off to his bedroom.

Chakotay looked at Kathryn and said, "I will leave you be but we will finished this discussion. One thing I want you to think about. I love you, always have and I always will. I believe that the reason why you were brought to this time period was because we were meant to be together. I also think that despite my mistakes, the Spirit's have given us another chance and with Kol we can have the family that we have always wanted." With that he headed out of Kathryn's quarters, leaving Kathryn standing there amazed at what he had said just then.

To Be continue.........

 

Feedback is always welcome.  Let me know what you think.


Go onto Part 6 or back to Part 4

Back to Fan Fic Page.