Uncle Garak!

Part 3
By Starna
 
 
Date: May-September 1999
Rating: PG-13
Summary: What if Janeway was not on Voyager when it went missing, but found herself there in the Delta Quadrant, 5 years after Voyager had disappeared.
Disclaimer: Parramount owns everything Star Trek. Let's hear it for them!
Author Note: The idea for this AU story has been playing with my mind for the last couple of months and I thought that it was about time I put it down on paper.

 

The turbo lift doors opened and Kathryn walked onto the bridge of Voyager. Compared to the Kakadu it was a little out of date but she knew this ship inside and out and knew that it could do anything it was asked.

Chakotay and Kathryn showed none of the emotions they were going through and showed no indications of the discussion that they had only seconds before.

Sitting in the Captain's chair was Captain Spencer, her successor. Kathryn remembered reading her file and thinking to herself that Captain Spencer was exactly whom she would have picked to replace her.

Captain Spencer turned around and as she stood up she said, "Captain Janeway, welcome to Voyager. Shall we talk in the readyroom?"

"That would be fine," said Kathryn.

"Chakotay you have the bridge" said Captain Spencer.

Chakotay acknowledged Captain Spencer. Kathryn and Captain Spencer walked into the readyroom. Chakotay watched them enter and thought to himself, 'I have to know!'


Captain Spencer indicated the seat in front of her desk and said, "Please take a seat. Can I get you anything from the replicator?"

"Coffee would be great, thank you," said Kathryn.

Captain Spencer collected the drinks from the replicator, and brought them over to the desk and sat down. Captain Spencer handed Kathryn her coffee and she took a sip of her drink. She studied Kathryn for a moment; she had always known that Voyager was originally Janeway's ship. She never found out why she had ended up with Voyager, and despite being stuck in the Delta Quadrant she was never sorry that she got Voyager instead.

Kathryn accepted the coffee offered and took a sip. "Thank Captain Spencer, it's exactly what I needed."

"Please call me Michelle."

"Thank you Michelle, call me Kathryn."

"Okay, let's get down to business. Firstly, since you are now in the Delta Quadrant I think that it would be a good idea if you stayed with Voyager and joined the crew," said Michelle.

"Agreed. We will have to find jobs for all of us but I think that that will be no trouble," said Kathryn. Michelle smiled in agreement.

Michelle was quiet for a moment and then said, "Kathryn, can you tell me what transported the Kakadu to the Delta Quadrant?"

"It was a tetryon wave, coherent. But as yet we have been unable to find the source of the wave. I can tell you that the wave, while not the same as the one you encountered with the Caretaker, it did have the same properties," said Kathryn.

This caught the attention of Michelle. "The same properties!" She touched her comm badge and said "All senior staff, there will be a meeting in 15 minutes. Spencer out. If what you are saying is correct, we need to find out where it originated."

"I will download all of the Kakadu's files so that we have something to work with. I will also get my crew to come to the meeting, they can help out with the investigation" said Kathryn.

"Sounds fine. One question, the Cardassian. What do you know about him? Can we trust him?" said Michelle.

"Garak is a close friend, one of the few people whom I trust my son's life with. He's the tailor on DS9 but before that he was a member of the Obsidian Order."

The last part alarmed Michelle, "Obsidian order!"

"Michelle, I give you my word, Garak will not cause any problems. The fact is the Cardassian government won't even allowed him on Cardassia Prime. The Kakadu is my ship, I designed it. Garak is also one of four people who knows the Kakadu inside and out. The other three are in Starfleet. He helped design the Kakadu!" said Kathryn.

"What do you mean he helped design the Kakadu?" asked Michelle, interested as to how Kathryn managed to get Starfleet approval for an enemy to help design a Federation starship.

"I wanted a ship which had the best security available. Garak is the only person who I know that can break into almost any computer system. So I had Garak break into the computer system on the Kakadu until he found it a challenge." Seeing the disbelieving look on Michelle's face, Kathryn said, "I know is sounds risky, and I had a long discussion with Starfleet to allowed Garak to do it but it has proven to be beneficial. The computer system that is in the Kakadu is also in a number of other starships which Obsidian operatives have been discovered, and it is known that they were unable to break the secruity."

Michelle thought about what Kathryn had said, "Well then maybe we should get Mr Garak to look at the Voyager computer system and see what he can do with it. I have to say, the only reason I brought up my concerns about Mr Garak is because, Voyager has had some interesting confrontations with Cardassians since we arrived here in the Delta Quadrant."

When Kathryn investigated the Prometheus situation, she had heard from the Doctor about the Obsidian Operative in Chakotay Maquis cell and what had happened. "I've read the reports and I understand your concern."

"He may find resistance to begin with," said Michelle.

"He realizes this, but I think that you will find him invaluable addition to the crew, not to mention an entertaining person," said Kathryn.

"I hope so. Well I think we'd better prepare for this meeting," said Michelle.


Kathryn was already in the briefing room when Garak and Nog walked in. Kathryn noticed that Kol wasn't with them and was about to ask where he was when Garak said, "Kol's with an Ensign Wildman and her daughter Naomi. The Doctor said that he will be looked after."

"Thanks Garak. Just to bring you up to date, Captain Spencer has invited us to stay with Voyager and join them on their journey back to the Alpha Quadrant. I've accepted on everyone's behalf," said Kathryn.

Both Garak and Nog nodded their heads in acknowledgement. "It makes sense," said Nog. Both Nog and Garak sat down at the table.

Just before Kathryn sat down with them, the Doctor walked in with a medical tricorder in hand, "I have checked everyone except you, Captain. And before you ask, they are all fine."

"Thank you Doctor" and allowed the Doctor to examine her.

"All clear" said the Doctor.

"Thank you again," said Kathryn.

Seven of Nine, Harry Kim and Tuvok walked into the briefing room. Harry immediately walked over to Kathryn and held out his hand in greeting, "Captain Janeway, it's a pleasure to meet you again."

Kathryn shook Harry's hand and said, "You look great Ensign Kim, not quite so 'green' as the last time we meet."

"Well it has been five years," said Harry, "I would like to introduce Seven of Nine."

Kathryn looked at Seven, she had listened to the Doctor's report about the Borg drone that Voyager had on board. Seven certainly didn't look like any drone that Kathryn had seen before. Kathryn held out her hand and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you Seven of Nine."

"And you Captain. Everyone refers to me as Seven for convenience, you may do the same," said Seven and then sat down, followed by Harry.

"Kathryn" shouted Tom Paris as he walked into the room followed by B'Elanna and Chakotay.

"Tom, it's so good to see you. And you too B'Elanna" said Kathryn as she hugged both of them.

"I saw the Kakadu, she looks great - even better than the plans you showed me when I was in prison" said Tom.

B'Elanna turned to Kathryn and said, "You knew Tom when he was in prison? And showed him the plans for the Kakadu?"

"Yes B'Elanna I did. And before you ask why I showed Tom the plans, it was because I wanted his opinion as a pilot and a friend," said Kathryn and laughed at B'Elanna's reaction.

Tom had a smug look on his face to which B'Elanna said, "Take that look off your face, you pig."

Tom and Kathryn laughed silently. Kathryn indicated at Tom's ensign pip and said, "What happened here?"

Tom let out a sigh and said, "Long story. I'll tell you later."

"Well it better have been for a good reason" said Kathryn.

"I believe it was" stated Tom.

Kathryn didn't miss the looks that Garak received from B'Elanna and made a mental note to discuss it with her. Kathryn looked at Garak to see how he was dealing with it; he looked like he hadn't noticed it but Kathryn knew that it wasn't the case.

Next to enter was Neelix who went straight to Kathryn and said, "Captain Janeway. It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Neelix, the chef and ambassador here on Voyager."

"Neelix it's nice to meet you," said Kathryn.

"If there is anything that I could do to help you and the rest of your crew fit in, please let me know," said Neelix.

"Thank you Neelix, I will if the need arises," said Kathryn.

Kathryn then walked over to where Garak and Nog were and sat between them. Garak leaned over and whispered, "That Neelix person seems like one of those growling people who are so annoying to have around. I can't understand why Captain Spencer lets him stay on board."

"It might be the same reason why Captain Sisko allowed you to stay on DS9. I hate to tell you this but you are one in the same!" said Kathryn as she laughed.

Garak thought for a moment and then said, "Maybe you're right. I should make a point of getting to know Neelix better."

Kathryn noticed that Nog was having a hard time pretending that he wasn't look like he was looking at Seven. She leaned over and to him and whisper, "Ensign, I suggest that you get those Ferengi feelings under control."

"Yes Captain," said Nog who now felt embarrassed that he had been caught.

Garak leaned over and said, "I have to say Ensign Nog, there wouldn't be a male member of any species who would be able to keep their eyes off her. I for one can't believe the outfit she has on at the moment. She would look absolutely lovely in one of my creations. And as for Neelix, well he definitely needs the services of a good tailor."

Kathryn couldn't help but smile at that comment.

Captain Spencer entered the room and everyone took their seats. "Hello everyone. I believe introductions are required." Everyone introduce himself or herself. The senior staff was very interested to hear that Nog was the first Ferengi in Starfleet and the experience that he had fighting the Dominion.

"Okay, let's get down to business. Captain Janeway, would you like to explain to everyone here what you told me earlier," said Captain Spencer.

"Certainly. The Kakadu was brought into the Delta Quadrant via a coherent tetryon wave with similar properties to the one which brought Voyager into the Delta Quadrant" said Kathryn. There was an audible gasp heard around the room.

"Computer display Janeway delta one," commanded Kathryn.

The information was displayed on the viewscreen, and Kathryn told how the Kakadu was on its way to Narellan when the wave was detected coming from behind the ship. She also recounted their actions to avoid it. Kathryn then said, "I understand that you have a astrometric lab with Borg technology?"

"That is correct," said Seven.

"Good, we began to try to determine the source of the wave before Voyager arrived. Captain Spencer and I wish to locate the source and see if we could perhaps use it to get us back to the Alpha Quadrant. Seven, we need you to continue with the analysis," said Kathryn.

"I will start working on it" said Seven.

"Good, use whom ever you need. This takes top priority over everything. Do I make myself clear?" said Captain Spencer. Seven nodded her head. "Okay then, next, Ensign Nog. I will be discussing with Captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay where you would be of the most benefit on Voyager. But until then, please fill in wherever you are needed" said Captain Spencer.

"Yes Captain" replied Nog.

"Captain Spencer, I would like to offer my services in anyway to help out," said Garak. "I certainly could not stand for everyone doing the work while I get a free ride."

"Thank you Mr Garak. As I assume Captain Janeway is familiar with your abilities, we will discuss it at the same time," said Captain Spencer.

"B'Elanna, if your engineering team isn't too busy, could you organize for the Kakadu to be repaired?" said Kathryn.

"I think that I could spare a few of my team," said B'Elanna.

"Thanks, Nog and Garak, please help the engineering team out until further orders," said Kathryn. They both nodded their heads.

"Well that will be all for now," said Captain Spencer. "Dismissed."

Everyone left the room and went about their duties. Captain Spencer said, "Chakotay, Captain Janeway, please remain. We need to discuss the placement of Ensign Nog, Garak and you, Captain Janeway."


The new placements for Kathryn, Garak and Nog had been sorted out. Kathryn was adamant she while on Voyager held the rank of Commander, her reason being, "There can only be one Captain." Kathryn was assigned to the science department but would do bridge command duty as well.

Nog was going to be offered the position as pilot, a back up for Tom, and would spend some time in Engineering also.

Garak was tough to place. It was decided to offer him a position in security/intelligence. It was also decided to ask Garak if he would set up a tailor shop, thus saving on replicator rations.

On the Kakadu, they would hold the positions they already had.

Just as Captain Spencer, Chakotay and Kathryn were about to conclude their meeting, Captain Spencer's comm badge sounded.

"Spencer here"

"Captain, I have been able to determine the origins of the tetryon wave," said Seven.

"Good work Seven. Transfer your findings to the bridge and then report there. Spencer out."


Voyager headed towards the planet Seven had identified as the source of the tetryon wave that brought the Kakadu to the Delta Quadrant.

"Captain, we're being hailed," said Tuvok.

"On screen" said Captain Spencer. "I am Captain Michelle Spencer of the Federation ship Voyager……." The alien on the screen cut her off.

"I suggest you go back to where you came from, Captain Spencer. You and your ship are not wanted here" said the alien.

"Well then, we seem to have a problem because we wish to talk to whomever was responsible for the tetryon wave which originated from your planet" said Captain Spencer.

"I don't see a problem. I suggested that you leave and you will do that," said the alien.

"Perhaps I could talk to your head of government about this and see if there is any….." said Captain Spencer before she was cut off by the alien again.

"I have warned you twice," said the alien, then without warning the alien ship fired on Voyager with a series of shots.

"Shields up and move us away Tom," said Chakotay.

"Damage report," said Captain Spencer.

"Direct hit to deck 10, repair crews have been dispatched. Only two injuries reported" said Tuvok.

"Captain, another ship is approaching us. They're hailing" said Harry.

"On screen" said Captain Spencer.

Another alien who was of the same race as the alien who fired upon Voyager appeared on screen. This alien however, was older in appearance.

"Captain Spencer, my name is Trevalan, First Minister of the Rudcor's. I wish to apology for the behavior of our space security. I am afraid that everyone has been a little on edge lately. I hope that he didn't cause any damage to you, your crew or your ship."

"First Minister, thank you for your concern. The damage was minimal. May I ask why your people are on edge?" said Captain Spencer.

"It's related to what you wish to talk to us about. I wish to invite Voyager to enjoy the hospitality of the Rudcor's people and we will be able to discuss this situation further" said Trevalan.

"Very well, thank you for the invitation. Voyager out. Tom, take us in," said Captain Spencer.

"Aye Captain," said Tom.

"Sick bay to bridge. Captain I require Ensign Paris' assistance here. Also Captain Janeway I suggest that you come as well" said the Doctor.

Captain Spencer gave Tom the nod and said, "Ensign Nog, please report to the bridge." Chakotay took over the conn from Tom till Nog arrived.

Tom and Kathryn headed to the turbo lift and then to the sickbay.

To be continue........

 

Feedback is always welcome.  Let me know what you think.


Go onto Part 4 or back to Part 2

Back to Fan Fic Page.