Uncle Garak!

Part 1
By Starna
 
 
Date: May-September 1999
Rating: PG-13
Summary: What if Janeway was not on Voyager when it went missing, but found herself there in the Delta Quadrant, 5 years after Voyager had disappeared.
Disclaimer: Parramount owns everything Star Trek. Let's hear it for them!
Author Note: The idea for this AU story has been playing with my mind for the last couple of months and I thought that it was about time I put it down on paper.

 

"I can't believe that they have made me an admiral!" said Kathryn Janeway when she walked into Garak's tailor shop on Deep Space 9.

A young boy of Native American Indian descent who was approximately 5 years old followed her in the shop. "Uncle Garak," yelled the young boy, as he rushed over to Garak.

"Kol, how's my favorite little Maquis?" said Garak, lifting the boy into his arms. Both of them gave the other a warm hug.

"Uncle Garak, don't you know that the Maquis no longer exist?" replied Kol.

"I had heard that but you will always be my little Maquis," said Garak as he pinched Kol's nose. This brought a smile to Kol's face.

Kathryn was standing back watching the Garak and Kol together. When she first introduced them to each other, she wondered if she was doing the right thing. After all Kol's family and home planet was destroyed by Garak's own people. She wanted Kol to learn that what had happen to his people was not Garak's or anybody else's fault but it was due to the government on Cardassia.

More importantly she didn't want Kol to learn to hate but to learn that you must be tolerant of other people's beliefs and way of life. The fact that Garak and Kol were the best of friends put her mind at ease that she did the right thing. She knew that if something ever happen to her, that Garak would make sure the Kol was looked after and that no harm would come to him.

Kathryn moved over to them, "If you two are finished. Hello Garak," said Kathryn then she kissed Garak on the cheek.

"Hello Kathryn," said Garak as he returned the kiss.

"So what do you think about Starfleet making me an admiral?" asked Kathryn.

"Well my dear I can tell you how they managed to get you to agree. They realized that all they would have to do is dangle the "Kakadu" in front of you and they would be able to get you to do what ever they wanted," replied Garak.

"You didn't answer my question!" said Kathryn.

"I have always like to have friends in high places," answered Garak.

Kathryn slapped Garak on the arm, "Very funny Garak." A grin appeared on her face at Garak's comment. Kathryn looked at Kol and said, "Isn't there something you want to ask Uncle Garak?"

A huge smile came across the boy's face, "Uncle Garak, Mum and I would love for you to come to Narellan and spend Christmas with us. So are you coming?"

Garak looked at Kathryn with concern, "Are you sure that it would be wise for me to go, considering who's there?" Garak was aware through his contacts that Narellan had become somewhat of a safe haven for former Maquis members through his contacts.

Kathryn replied, "Nothing gets past you, does it. It will be fine. They all know that we are friends, so they wont question it any further. Besides it's my place, I can invite whomever I like!"

Garak looked back to Kol who couldn't understand why it was taking Uncle Garak so long to say yes. Despite his reservations with regards to going to Narellan, Garak knew he couldn't break the boy's heart.

"I'd be honor to join the two of you in your celebration of Christmas. Thank you for asking me," said Garak. He then looked at Kol and said, "Now if I remember correctly, you give presents to people to let them know that you love them, right?"

Kol nodded his head.

"Have you brought anything for your Mother yet young man?" said Garak.

Kol's head dropped and he looked at the floor as he shook his head. Garak lifted Kol's head and looked at him, "Well I haven't either, so how about we both go shopping."

Kol's face lit up and said, "Yeah." He then looked at Kathryn, and said, "Bye Mum, Uncle Garak and I are going shopping for Christmas presents." Kol grabbed Garak's hand and waved goodbye as he started pulling Garak to the door.

Laughing at the sight, Kathryn said, "Garak, Kolopak, behave yourselves."

"We will Mum, don't worry about us," said Kol as they walked off.

"Are you sure that it's a good idea to let the two of them to go off together without some supervision?" said Ezri Dax as she walked up behind Kathryn with a smile on her face.

Kathryn turned around to Ezri and answered, "I know that some people wouldn't but I trust Garak with Kol." Kathryn considered herself lucky to have known both Ezri before she received the Dax symbont, and Dax as Curzon Dax. Curzon had became a father figure to Kathryn when she first arrived on Earth, after the people of Narellan discovered what had happen to them. Curzon was patient with Kathryn as she adjusted to the 24th Century and the new Earth that she was faced with. Curzon had said to her later on that she was like a daughter to him and he gained so much pride when she joined Starfleet and later when her career bloomed. Ezri was a promising young cadet at the Academy who for some reason was interested in Kathryn's career. Once Ezri had gotten pass the "hero" stage, she and Kathryn had become good friends. "Anyway how's things with you and the freeloader?" said Kathryn touched Ezri where the Dax symbont was.

"We're both fine thanks."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. You know if I was you Ezri, I would be listening to Dax. He's a wise old thing and has pretty much seen or done everything," said Kathryn.

"I'm not as old as some people I know who are only human," replied Dax with a smile on her face.

Kathryn smiled and said, "Watch it, you!"

Ezri smiled and said, "Are you going to see Captain Sisko?"

"I was just about to. Care to walk me to Ops?"

"Love to!"

Kathryn and Ezri headed towards Ops, catching up with each other's news.


As they arrived at Ops, Ezri announced to everyone on duty, "Hey look at who I caught lurking around the station."

"Lurking?" said Kathryn.

Miles O'Brien walked up to Kathryn and puts his hand on her shoulders, "If it was me who saw you first I would have contacted security and have them put you in the brig." Giving her a hug, "Welcome to Deep Space 9 Kathryn, or should I start calling you Admiral Janeway?" in a teasing voice and doing a mock salute.

O'Brien and Kathryn met through Keiko years earlier and immediately hit it off. Kathryn enjoyed O'Brien's sense of humor, it was so much like those of the Narellan.

"Kathryn will do just fine O'Brien, and you know that!" and emphasized it with a hit on the chest. "How are Keiko and the kids?"

"Fine, Keiko's on Bajora at the moment, she'll be sad that she missed you."

"So am I."

"Well I have to go and fix the replicator at Quark's. I wish I knew what he does to it. I always seemed to be sending someone to fix it. Take care Kathryn," said Miles as he left.

"You too Miles," said Kathryn.

"Admiral Janeway, what a pleasure to have you onboard," said Captain Sisko, holding out his hand in greeting.

"What's with this 'Admiral' stuff! Kathryn, my name is Kathryn. You have been using it for years, don't stop just because Starfleet has gone insane and promoted me," replied Kathryn.

Sisko laughed and said, "Hello Kathryn, welcome aboard," and gave her a hug. Sisko and Kathryn got to know each other through Curzon.

"Thanks Ben. It's great to be here even though it's only briefly. Can we go to your office? I need to discuss something with you."

"Sure, this way" said Sisko, as he indicated his office.

As soon as Kathryn and Sisko entered Sisko's office, Major Kira said, "So that's Kathryn Janeway. She's smaller than I expected."

"She may be small, but her heart and sense of honor is that of a Klingon" said Worf.

"I had heard that she defeated two Klingons at the same time in hand to hand combat" said Kira in a teasing tone.

Worf went back to work and pretended that nothing was said. Everyone else in Ops silently laughed as they went back to work.


"So what is it that you want to talk about?" said Sisko.

"Well, since I am going to be an Admiral, I need an assistant. Even though I have every intention not to be stuck behind a desk." Sisko smiled at that comment, being fully aware of what she meant by that. "Anyway, what do you think about Nog as my assistant?"

Sisko was taken back at this question and replied, "Nog is a fine officer and I would be sorry to lose him. Are you sure that he would be the right person for the job? He's not the kind to sit behind a desk all day either!"

"I know what you're saying, but at the moment I do believe that he is the right person. You see, when Starfleet promoted me, it was agreed that the 'Kakadu' would become my ship and my role in Starfleet would be to assist the Captains of Starships and Stations, in whatever role they wish me in, if they find themselves in a difficult situation" said Kathryn.

"They want you to monitor and report back to them on what we were doing, don't they?"

"Yes, but I like my amendments a lot better" said Kathryn with a smile on her face.

Sisko laughed and replied, "So do I and most likely every other Captain in Starfleet. So when do you start?"

"In three weeks when I arrive back on Earth for debriefing. So now, what do you think about Nog becoming my assistant?"

"In light of what you have told me, it makes sense. You will need someone who is Starfleet but can think on their feet and adapt to any situation that they may find themselves in. Nog is one of the best when it comes to that."

"I thought so too. So it's okay to steal your pilot?" asked Kathryn.

"You'll take him anyway, but yes, it's fine" replied Sisko.

"Thanks, I appreciate it."


It seemed like everyone was at the docking bay to see Nog, Garak, Kol and Kathryn off.

"I still can't see why Nog has to leave the station now and not in three weeks when his new assignment starts?" said Rom to his brother Quark.

Nog overheard his father and said, "The reason why I'm going now is because I have always wanted to visit Narellan. I will finally get the chance to do so something I have always wanted to do. Everything will be okay."

"Nog's right, Rom. You're just worrying to much" said Quark.

"Maybe, but he is my son and I will miss him," replied Rom. The he turned to Nog and said, "Well you just keep safe and remember to come back when you're on leave."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine father" said Nog.


"Constable Odo, what a pleasant surprise to see you here. Have you come to wish me a happy holiday?" asked Garak.

"Actually I wanted to make sure that the rumors were true, that you were leaving the station. I see that they are. So tell me, do you have any ideas when I should prepare for your return?" said Odo.

Kathryn overheard the conversation walked over to Odo and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Odo don't worry, I will make sure that he comes back as soon as possible so that you won't miss him. Garak, ready to go?"

"All packed. Oh, Constable Odo would you mind doing me a favor and look after my shop while I'm away? Thank you so much for doing that" said Garak before Odo had a chance to reply. Odo was somewhat in shock over the comments that Kathryn had said to him earlier.

Garak and Nog went aboard the 'Kakadu', Kol followed closed behind.

Kathryn turned to Sisko and Ezri. "Well I guess the next time I see you I will be wearing one of those ugly Admiral uniforms" said Kathryn.

"I guess you're right, that is unless you convince them to let you wear the regular one. Take care and see you soon" said Sisko.

"Behave yourself Ezri," said Kathryn as they hugged.

"You too" replied Ezri.

Kathryn then followed the others into the Kakadu.

To be continue.........

 

Feedback is always welcome.  Let me know what you think.


Go onto Part 2

Back to Fan Fic Page.